Come and join our community. Expand your network and get to know new people!
Sign in with Facebook
Here is a suggestion I posted before....
Debates are intentionally controlled via Moderators, with the ability of Moderators controlling questions. So with that in mind, my suggestions are as follows.
1) Moderator capabilities - Moderator can pose questions per Debate session. Each Debate session will allow a pre-defined limit of questions in which Each debater will respond to. Questions will needed to be created prior to opening debate for responses. Each pre-defined question can have the ability to create a rebuttal. Rebuttals are new questions posed during debates.
2) Rules - Debates generally have rules, and each debate generally has different rules. Moderators should be allowed to control and enforce these rules. Rule violations will deduct points accordingly. When a rule violation is made, then the Moderator will note where the violation is much like the "Quote" Feature with Kunena...and the Moderator will then select the rule violated.
Quoted Text from Debate
Violation Rule #4: Sources not provided to support Statement
A simple bbcode can be created to make Violation notices much easier by simply highlighting text and adding the rule # within a text field. All text plus rule will be automatically posted and formatted. As well as pre-defined point deduction will immediately be applied.
3)Currently each debate has a single text area to type their entire statement. However, this can make posting rather challenging to read and keep track of arguments. Instead each debater should be allowed to separate their arguments into sections. With the ability of providing sources per section. Sources will be formatted in the same manner as Kunena bbcode Links (URL Address/Title)
4) Kunena/Jomsocial Challenge Plugin - This plugin will allow members using Kunena to challenge other Kunena users to a debate. When activating a debate challenge, the following events will be performed.
Challenger creates a Debate Session with all necessary rules, debate remains "unpublished" until "Accepted" by the member being challenged
Kunena Topic High-lighted with icon or formatted text
PM sent to Member being challenged
Announcement is made to public jomsocial activity stream
Challenged member either accepts or declines challenge
If challenged member accepts, then Announcement is made to public jomsocial activity stream
If challenged member declines, then Announcement is made to public jomsocial activity stream
If challenged member accepts, previously created debate session becomes active
If challenged member declines, previously created debate session is deleted
PM sent to Challenger with Accept / Or Decline
5) Debate Badges - Badges are medals earned for achieving certain "goals" like winning debates in 3 different categories, winning a debate by a certain amount of points, etc. These goals can be setup via admin to allow admins to literally custom create their own badges and achievements. Badges will be view able in Jomsocial Profile and Kunena Topics/Replies
Just a few ideas...all though well-detailed and probably challenging enhancements - I am sure that I can come up with more. I believe that these can all be sold as commercial plugins to help support the development of your Debate Component.
With the above still being my proposed suggestions please allow me to add more.
1) Debate Stages - One Question per stage, with one opportunity for rebuttals. Rebuttals can be given to one member of the debate or both. Moderator choice.
2) Debate Stages are determined by number of pre-defined questions. Are view able at a set time posed by moderators prior to the start of that corresponding stage. i.e. Question 5 can not be seen when debaters are still at stage 2.
3) Debaters are given exactly the same amount of time to view questions and prep. i.e. Debater 2 can not see the question until after debater one has submitted his/her initial response. Upon seeing the question, Debater 2 is granted the same amount of time to produce his/her own response.
4) Questions do not have to be pre-defined (Moderators Choice). They can be posed on the fly, if debate event is live. (I see this as a rare to unlikely feature ever used)
5) Moderators can host Public Debates, allowing public members to pose questions. When moderator picks a question to be asked....The original Poster's name is reflected within the question to the debaters. i.e. "Andrew wants to ask...."
6) Debaters can propose questions through the moderator for his/her opponent. Moderator has a choice of accepting or denying question.
I actually had a few more, but forgot...lol. They will come back eventually.
I was thinking, that this component could eventually be a huge undertaking, however, it got me into thinking even more about the possibility of making this project complete, but much easier. Have you considered attempting this whole project as a series of Modules, Plugins, and a Kunena Template? The Template would simply be Kunena rearranged for debate purposes only, with plugins adding triggers, events, and other features.
When you think about it...kunena provides the most essentials tools you would need for a working Debating System.
Just a thought,
Read More...2 days ago
When I zoom in radius disappears and markers disappear and map freezes
I’ve got Google location setup as well – when you display Results in the module the Google map is missing
Is there a way to auto populate latlong field (saves me going through over 4000 records)?
I'll PM admin access
Read More...2 days ago
I have both Google location and Geo search installed - with Google location you can manually move the red location marker. I moved it then set the same longlat into cool search - they differ - sny ideas why?
[File Attachment: mapissues.png]
Read More...2 days ago